Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sex and the City 2 (Rhoades)

“Sex and the City 2” Wraps Up Carrie’s Love life

Reviewed by Shirrel Rhoades

Recently, in my Solares Hill movie column, I gave you a list of the Top Chick Flicks that guys will also like. You may have noticed that “Sex and the City” was not on my list. Well, turns out that Zach Dionne, a writer for Pop Eater, disagrees with me. “I'm not trying to be ironic,” he writes. “I'm not trying to be proud. I'm not even trying to score points with the ladies. And I'm certainly not apologizing. I'm just saying I'm a (straight) man, I've seen and enjoyed all of ‘Sex and the City,’ dug the movie and I'm psyched for the sequel. And I feel like I'm the only one.”

Not so, Zach. An AOL poll shows that 73 percent of its respondents think the “Sex and the City” sequel – now showing at the Tropic Cinema – is suitable for both guys and gals.

But let’s face it: New York City girls are a different breed. They live in an asphalt environment where they prowl the uptown streets and downtown nightspots like cats in a zoo. Cougars, that is.

We’re speaking here of Carrie Bradshaw, Miranda Hobbs, Charlotte York, and Samantha Jones, those four gal pals from HBO’s fondly remembered “Sex and the City” TV show. They made a return visit two years ago in a movie version of “Sex and the City,” where this sexually aggressive foursome was still looking for love.

Did Carrie ultimately find it with Mr. Big?

Well, if you really wanna know the answer, you’ll find it in their latest cinematic outing called “Sex and the City 2.” Sarah Jessica Parker is back as Carrie (who else could wear those fantastic haute couture costumes?). Joining her again are Cynthia Nixon, Kristin Davis, and Kim Cattrall. Also, Chris Noth returns as the aforementioned Mr. Big.

Expect cameo appearances by Miley Cyrus, Penelope Cruz, and Liza Minnelli, among others.
In this sequel, Carrie finds her life with Big “somewhere between wild sex and a baby.” Alas. “Big and I are getting a little too Mr. and Mrs. Married,” she declares.

What to do?

“I think we need some glamour,” bemoans Carrie.

So the girls go off to Abu Dhabi. Where Carrie meets a man. “Something happened,” she confesses to Big.
“Sex and the City 2” poses the question: What happens after you say I do?

Maybe we each have to work out that answer for ourselves. But as Samantha says to her BFF’s, “We made a deal ages ago – men, babies, we’re soul mates.”

srhoades@aol.com
[from Solares Hill]

No comments: